Thank you to all concerned friends and Blog readers who have contacted me about the defamatory posts on Monday and Tuesday by 2OceansVibe. 2OceansVibe has looked for any opportunity to slate us since I asked the question four years ago as to why its owner Will Mellor should hide his true name, using the alias ‘Seth Rotherham’. (more…)
Entries tagged with “WhaleTales”.
Wednesday 11th January 2017 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Monday 21st September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
*. South African exports into Africa are growing, says Wines of South Africa (WOSA) Africa head Matome Mbatha. Angola is taking 6 million liters of wine, of which more than 80% is sparkling wines, and predominantly JC le Roux, a brand they are ‘crazy about‘, Mbatha says. The 4,5 million liters of Nigeria’s imports from our country are mainly Pinotage and Merlot.
* Chef Luke Dale-Roberts is to open a pop-up The Test Kitchen restaurant at (more…)
Friday 18th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
*. Cape Town has been named as one of 35 most beautiful cities in the world for 2015 by the UK Telegraph, in the company of Istanbul, Florence, Paris, Siena, Jerusalem, Oxford, Cambridge, New York, Rome, Sydney, Bruges, Seville, San Francisco, Bath, Lausanne, Venice, Edinburgh, London, Havana, Prague, Kyoto, Moscow, St Petersburg, Dubrovnik, Rio de Janeiro, and more.
Cape Town was praised for its ‘in-your-face beauty of a craggy mountain range that drops precipitously into a glittering sea, its flanks carpeted in greens and delicate florals – the Cape Floral Kingdom, smallest yet richest in the world’. The pristine white beaches with their granite boulders are also (more…)
Thursday 17th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
*. Noma owner Chef René Redzepi has announced that he is closing down the tasting menu Noma on 31 December 2016, moving to the Christiania suburb in Copenhagen, where he will build a glass house over a derelict skating park for a new restaurant, and create an urban farm. The produce served as well as the place settings will change as the seasons change. In January next year Noma sets up a pop-up restaurant in Sydney for 10 weeks.
* The Western Cape Government’s Tourism department has made a detailed analysis of the new visa regulations, and their (more…)
Wednesday 16th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* The number of Gold medals awarded to South African wines in the 2015 International Wine & Spirit Competition has doubled relative to last year. Thirteen wines won Gold Outstanding, three wineries winning more than one such medal: Kanonkop (Black Label Pinotage 2010 and 2012), Glen Carlou (Gravel Quarry 2010 and The Welder 2013), and Stellenrust (50 Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2014 and Old Bush (more…)
Tuesday 15th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* The United Nations World Tourism Association (UNWTO) World Tourism Barometer reflects that international tourism grew by 4 % in the period January – June 2015. However, tourism in Africa declined by 6% (sub-Saharan Africa declined by 4%). The growth rate of tourism in Europe, Asia, the Pacific, and Middle East was highest at 5% in the same period.
*. The National Finalists for the SA Wine Tasting Championships have (more…)
Monday 14th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* The announcement last week of the discovery of a new hominid species Homo Naledi at The Cradle of Humankind at Maropeng, and its international media coverage by National Geographic in particular, could give Tourism to our country a much-needed boost.
*. The 31st Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild will be held at Spier on (more…)
Friday 11th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
*. Despite the Rand exchange rate being at its best ever for international visitors, no surge in tourism bookings is being seen. The after-effect of last year’s Ebola crisis, and the new visa regulations, have affected tourism numbers from China, India, and Brazil in particular. Hotelier Arthur Gillis said that the golden opportunity of the exchange rate was negated by the visa regulations, and said that we ‘shoot ourselves in the foot’.
Thursday 10th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
*. Sun International has won the bid to run the Blue Train on behalf of Transnet, the two hospitality services sharing similar guest profiles. More trains and new routes are planned.
Wednesday 9th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
*. Wesgro is inviting investors to capitalize on the depreciation of the Rand in investing in the Western Cape, and to buy exported products from the province. Wesgro CEO Tim Harris said that the province’s skilled workforce would offer investors better value for money. Investors would benefit from the lower costs created by the weaker Rand in setting (more…)