At the beginning of May Karoux moved into a next door building on the main road of McGregor, a substantial improved dining space compared to its previous space, which I had only experienced as an outside stoep area. Not only is the new restaurant space an improvement, but it feels as if Chef Ryan Josten’s creative cuisine has been inspired by the move too! Continue reading →
The Sweet Service Award goes to Heritage Western Cape, for turning down an application to demolish the Winchester Mansions, an iconic 90-year old hotel on Beach Road in Sea Point. The developers wanted to rebuild a new hotel on the site, and upgrade it to a 5-star hotel. I personally have an emotional link to the hotel, having spent the first year of my life in it when it still was a block of flats, after immigrating with my parents from Germany, and also getting engaged there for nostalgic reasons many years later.
Clever Capetonians stay far away from restaurants over the Festive Season, given poor past experiences with service and food quality. It seems that many locals are brave enough or naive enough to go out during the Continue reading →
* The Earth’s magnetic pole is slowly shifting, from North to South, and vice versa, and may mean that the Northern Lights will no loner be seen in the Northern Hemisphere, and that mammals such as whales which navigate via the magnetic poles may change their migration pattern.
* Western Cape Tourism Minister Alan Winde dived with gentle cow-sharks off Simonstown yesterday, to showcase a little known experience, and to create awareness for the province’s ‘Water Connects us’ theme for Tourism Month. The Minister said that the province’s water-themed experiences enhanced its position as one of the country’s most popular destinations, more than 1 million tourists having visited the Western Cape last year. Provincial marketing agency Wesgro will showcase a variety of the province’s unique and family fun water-based experiences, including its 20 (out of a total Continue reading →
The Wordsworth launch lunch of Agri-Expo Dairy Manager Kobus Mulder’s book ‘Cheeses of South Africa’ at Reuben’s at the One&Only Cape Town yesterday was most enjoyable, with great company, good food and wine, a charming hotel ambassador, and entertaining author/speaker.
Gorry Bowes-Taylor has been organising book launch lunches for Wordsworth for years, and will be a comedian in a next life, not being the most diplomatic lunch hostess, but is loved for making her guests laugh, and for finding new venues at which to hold the book launches. As I have written before, the lunches have a cult following by some of her regulars, who are not really interested in the subject of the book or the author, but who find value in the R225 three course launch lunch, excellent quality wines, the chance of making new friends at the table, the chance of winning a prize in the lucky draw, and for being entertained by Gorry and the author/speaker. She did not disappoint with her lunch organisation yesterday. Wordsworth sets up a table to sell the discounted launch book at such a function. Continue reading →
No significant events have been planned to attract visitors to Cape Town and the Winelands this winter, and it appears to be the worst winter ever experienced by the hospitality industry in the Cape. A surprise is the number of restaurant changes, as well as the the movement of staff between restaurants. Given the poor winter business, many restaurants have taken/are taking generous winter breaks. This list of restaurant openings and closings is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Four & Twenty Café and Pantry has opened in Wynberg
* The Crypt Jazz Restaurant has opened below St George’s Cathedral.
* Orphanage Cocktail Emporium is opening Orphanage Club upstairs, with 1920’s style music by live performers, later this year.
* Cavalli restaurant on the stud farm on the R44 must be opening shortly, as Carl Habel has left the Mount Nelson Hotel as Restaurant Manager and Sommelier to join the restaurant.
* Shake your Honey is to open in the original Madame Zingara building on Loop Street next year, after renovations commence later this year, according to an iolTravel report. The ‘vibrant spirit of India’ is to be reflected in the 5-storey building, with a theatre, markets, restaurants, and shops.
* Burger King has opened its (second) Tygervalley branch. Branches at Cavendish and at Grandwest are to open soon. Continue reading →
The Sweet Service Award goes to Yacoob Yachts for their excellent service in allowing our family group to charter Tigresse, a superb catamaran, to scatter the ashes of our late father last Sunday. We were allowed sole use of the yacht for an hour, and they motored to a spot opposite the Winchester Mansions in Sea Point, which was our first home (an apartment block then) when we arrived in Cape Town from Germany. From here we could honour our father, to perfect weather, and accompanied by dolphins for a part of the trip. The yacht which we had originally booked had mechanical problems, so the charter company offered us the much larger and more luxury Tigresse at no extra charge.
The Sour Service Award goes to the Robben Island Museum (for the third time), for having two of its three ferries out of operation yet again, the Dias having stopped operation as long ago as January, while the Sikhululekile has not operated for six weeks, the Cape Times reported last week! The company is using local boat suppliers, dependent on ticket sales. Robben Island is regularly in the news for the breakdown of its vessels, for its staff problems, and for its mismanagement of this World Heritage site!
The WhaleTales Sweet & Sour Service Awards are presented every Friday on the WhaleTales blog. Nominations for the Sweet and Sour Service Awards can be sent to Chris von Ulmenstein at email@example.com. Past winners of the Sweet and Sour Service Awards can be read on the Friday posts of this blog, and in the WhaleTales newsletters on the www.whalecottage.com website.
Winchester Mansions General Manager and Cape Town Tourism Director Nils Heckscher has told Southern African Tourism Update that ‘2011 was the worst year for many in the industry‘, and that tourism performance is a long way away from the good performance levels last seen five years ago.
Given Mr Heckscher’s roles as FEDHASA Cape Chairman until 2010, and as a Director of Cape Town Tourism currently, as well as his position in running a 4-star hotel in Sea Point, he should have been able to make a difference to the fortunes of the tourism industry in encouraging the management of Cape Town Tourism in particular to come up with more creative marketing campaigns to address the downward slide in tourist performance in the Cape. Sadly, this has not been seen to date.
The tourism newsletter’s survey about the state of the tourism nation reflected that 57% of tourism players said that they are experiencing a ‘quiet winter’, 29% said it was ‘average’, and only 14% said they were ‘busy’, leading the writer of the article to conclude that ‘recovery is still a long way off‘.
Minister of Tourism Marthinus van Schalkwyk’s regular positive spin on tourism numbers is regularly questioned by the tourism industry, in not reflecting its day-to-day experience. Heckscher calls for better interrogation of tourism statistics, and cautions against putting all one’s eggs into the Europe basket, recommending diversification into the African continent. Seeing an increase in bookings relative to 2011, not difficult due to it having been a tough tourism year, he is uncertain whether the trend will continue: “Nobody knows and the landscape has changed for the long term. Nothing is like it was and forecasting has become increasingly difficult.”
Large tour operator Tourvest has seen an improvement in tourism from ‘Germanic Europe’, but describes tourism from the UK, the Netherlands, and the southern Mediterranean countries as continuing to be ‘under pressure’. The poor summer in Europe and the UK makes the company optimistic about the prospect of better bookings for the summer lying ahead.
Cape Town and its environs have suffered a very wet winter, which has not encouraged Gautengers to come to Cape Town with forecasts of snow and wild storms, nor have Capetonians left their warm homes to stay in towns and villages outside of Cape Town, many cancelling their bookings because of the weather. The usual Italian tourism influx is barely visible, with few Italians travelling in their holiday month this year.
With no visible marketing of the Western Cape by Wesgro since it took over Cape Town Routes Unlimited, questionable marketing by Cape Town Tourism of Cape Town, high airline ticket prices, and no end to the Eurozone crisis and the recession in the UK, the prospects for the tourism summer ahead look bleak. The tourism industry will be largely reliant on local tourists coming to Cape Town, yet there is little sign of domestic marketing by both Cape Town Tourism and Wesgro.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage
We are delighted that many restaurants in Cape Town and the Winelands have seen the benefit of offering specials, and have done so since last winter, many running through summer too. The winter specials for Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and will be updated continuously:
* Pure at Hout Bay Manor: 3-course dinner for R195, includes 2 glasses of Groote Post wine, 10 May – end June. Closed July. Tel (021) 790-0116.
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : sirloin and chips R79, seafood platter R 129, 1 kg prawn platter R99, oysters R9 each, sushi platter R109. Half price sushi all day. From 9 May. Tel (021) 439-9027
* Sinn’s Restaurant at Wembley Square: lunch (6 options) at R50. 3-course dinner with glass of wine R150. Sunday Buffet – 2 courses plus coffee R120, 3 courses plus coffee R150. Winter. Tel (021) 465-0967
* Theo’s on Beach Road, Mouille Point: oysters R6 each, 1 kg prawns R99, line fish R79, for lunch and dinner. 300 gram sirloin steak, spatchcock chicken peri peri, 500 gram spare ribs all R79 for lunch only. Full sushi platter R99, half platter R50. Winter. Tel (021) 439-3494.
* Sevruga in the V&A Waterfront: half price sushi Monday – Saturday 12 – 6 pm; 25 % off sushi Sunday 12 – 2pm, 50 % off Sunday 2 – 6 pm, 3-course menu R160, daily, lunch and dinner; 2-course lunch R120. 3-course lunch and dinner R160. End September. Tel (021) 421-5134
* Myoga at Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 7 course dinner, with 5 choices per course, for R195, Mondays – Saturdays, throughout winter. Tel (021) 657-4545
* Beluga, The Foundry, Green Point: 1 kg Prawns R99; 50 % off sushi and cocktails all day Sunday, and from 12h00 – 19h00 weekdays. 2-course lunch R120; 3-course lunch and dinner R160. End September. Tel (021) 418-2948.
* 221 Waterfront: 3-course meal at R135 on Wednesdays. Dine & Cruise package: 1,5 hour cruise, 2 glasses sparkling wine, 3-course meal R370; Lunch & Cruise package: 1 hour cruise and meal R210. Winter. Tel (021) 418-3633
* The Lookout Deck, Hout Bay: Seafood Platter with line fish, mussels, calamari and prawns R65. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 790-0900
* La Mouette, Regent Road, Sea Point (photograph above): Tasting Menu (items change monthly) 6 courses R240 for 2 persons, Tuesday – Sunday dinner, Friday and Saturday lunch. Winter. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Bertha’s in Simonstown: 1 kg Queen prawns cost R99 each, Calamari, mussel, chips, BBQ chicken and wing platter R99, 600g ribs plus 500ml Windhoek draught R99. Winter. Tel (021) 786-2138
* Aubergine: 2-course lunch R184, 3-course lunch R235. 2-course dinner R200, 3-course dinner R275. Wednesdays – Fridays except public holidays. Winter. Tel (021) 465-4909
* Ferryman’s Tavern, V&A Waterfront: Combo-specials R100 (linefish + calamari), R85 (sirloin + calamari), R99 (pork rib + chicken wings), Mussel hotpot R75. Winter. Sunday Hot Pot Buffet Eat as much as you like R120, Sundays, until end August. Tel (021) 419-7748
* Hildebrand: 2 courses R99, 3 courses R130 if eat before 19h00; Winter. Tel (021) 425-3385
* Leaf Restaurant and Bar: 50 % off sushi all day, Dimsum 30 % off, Burgers R50 – R65. Winter. Tel (021) 418-4500
* Blowfish in Blouberg: Breakfast specials: egg and bacon sandwich R19, Three Cheese and Mushroom omelette R25, Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs R25; Lunch specials of Surf ‘n Turf, Rack of Ribs, Thai Chicken Curry, and Mussel and Chorizo Chowder at R49 Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 17h00; Dinner specials: seafood platter, slow roasted lamb shank, oxtail stew, and seafood curry R99, Monday – Saturday 17h00 onwards. Winter. Tel (021) 556-5464
* Vanilla, Cape Quarter: 1/2 price sushi 12h00 – 18h00, half-price cocktails 4 – 6 pm. Winter. Tel (021) 421-1391
* Knife restaurant, Century City: Bagel R35; Salad R45; Rib, meatball, chicken wing and chip platter R60, all specials include a beer/glass of wine/colddrink and coffee. Lunch special, 12h00 – 15h00, Mondays – Fridays. Winter. Tel (021) 551-5000
* Saul’s Sushi @ Vegas, Sea Point: 30 piece sushi platter R99 – Wednesdays and Thursdays; two for the price of one – Sundays. Winter. Tel 087 151 4595
* Bhandaris Indian Restaurant: Buffet R99 Wednesday dinner and Sunday lunch and dinner. 30 % off for pensioners on Tuesdays. Lowest value meal for free if buy bottle of wine or two drinks for a pre-booked table of up to 10, on Monday evenings; Lamb R79, Chicken R69, Fish R85 – Tuesday – Sundays. Winter. Tel (021) 702-2975/Tel (021) 782-1525.
* Zorba’s, Lagoon Beach Hotel, Lagoon Beach Drive, Milnerton: Seafood and meat platter for two plus two glasses of Hartenberg wine R199 19 August – 19 September. Tel (021) 528-2093
* Trees Restaurant, Townhouse Hotel, Cape Town: Casserole or steak with starch of day and glass of wine R105. Winter. Tel (021) 465-7050
* Down South Food Bar, 267 Long Street: Rib & Prawn Platter including a side and sauces R75. Winter. Tel (021) 422-1155.
* Il Cappero, Barrack Street: Daily lunch main course special at R40. Three month Winter Special Card, costs R 140 for 11 starters, 11 main courses and 11 desserts, at 50 % off the menu price. Monday – Friday. May – July. Tel 461-3168
* Cape Town Fish Market: “All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R 60, Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays; Seafood lunch buffet R125, Sundays and public holidays. Winter. Tel (021) 418-5977
* Trinity, Bennett Street: “All you can eat” Dim Sum R135. Two-for-price-of-one burgers Wednesdays. Pizza R50 until 7 pm daily. Seafood platter R100 on Thursday. “All you can eat” ribs Mondays R99. Two for the price of one sushi and Dim Sum Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 20h00. Pizza R50 Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 19h00. Winter. Tel (021) 418-0624
* French Toast, Bree Street: Bruschetta tapas free Monday – Saturdays, 5 – 7 pm. All wines costing R 400 or less half price on Mondays. 2-course lunch consisting of soup and choice of two tapas plus glass of wine or cup of coffee R89, Monday – Friday 12h00 – 16h00. Winter. Tel (021) 422-3839.
* Cru Café Restaurant & Wine Bar, Cape Quarter: Scrambled egg and salmon breakfast for 2 plus bottomless cup of coffee R 78, Weekdays; 2 gourmet burgers with onion rings, French fries and Stella Artois beer R120 weekday lunch; Comfort food (Bobotie or Bredie) for two for R119, including 2 glasses of wine, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. T-bone steak (350g) for two at R150, Friday and Saturday evenings. Until September. Tel (021) 418-6334
* Krugmann’s Grill, V&A Waterfront: 250 g rump or sirloin R45, 19 – 21 August; 250g rump and starch R59, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 418-9393
* The Square, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: ‘Tastes of 2011’ focuses on different theme every month, from April – September. British menu change weekly, 2 courses R140 or 3 courses R170. Dinner only, Monday – Sunday. Tel ()21) 657-4500
* Dunes, Hout Bay : Sunday buffet with smoked salmon, oysters and cooked breakfast R100. Current. Tel (021) 790-1876
* Arnold’s on Kloof, 60 Kloof Street, Gardens: Jack Black stew (type of stew changes throughout winter) for two plus bottle of Altydgedacht R99. Tel (021) 424-4344. Throughout winter.
* Five Flies, One free main course for every main course ordered. Until end August. Tel (021) 424-4442
* Balducci’s, V&A Waterfront: Alfresco Lunch specials – soup and salad R89, fish R89, calamari R89, seafood platter for two R245, Steak Roll and chips R85, Steak and chips R99, Burgers R55 – R75, Glass of wine R27, bottle R99. daily 12h00 – 16h00. Tel (021) 421-6002
* Harbour House, Kalk Bay: 2-courses R140, 3-courses R160. Excludes Sundays. September. Tel (021) 788-4133
* Live Bait, Kalk Bay: Seafood platter R65. Sunday – Thursday evenings, and Monday – Friday lunch. September. Tel (021) 788-5755
* Polana, Kalk Bay: Mozambique-style prawns, Algarve salad and chips. R50, Sunday – Thursday dinner and Saturday lunch. September. Tel (021) 788-7162
* Massimo’s Pizza Club, Hout Bay: “Order any 2 adult take away (pizza, pasta salad)” to a minimum value of R100, and get an &Union beer, Darling Brew beer or a 500ml bottle of Bob’s Your Uncle wine for free, all day Wednesdays and Thursdays, Fridays until 17h00. Lunch offer – Free glass of house wine or beer when ordering main course, Wednesday – Friday, 12h00 – 16h00. Until August Tel (021) 790-5648.
* Codfather, Camps Bay: half-price sushi 12h00 – 18h00, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 438-0782
* Caffe Milano, Kloof Street: Lunch specials – Rump on a baguette R70; Pizza with pomodoro sauce, mozzarella and basil, R 70. Winter. Tuesday – Sunday. Tel (021)426-5566.
* Black Marlin, Simonstown: 2-course meal R115, 3-course R140 includes glass of wine. Until July. Tel (021) 786-1621
* Savoy Cabbage: 2-course R175, 3-course R195 includes glass of wine . Until end August. Tel (021) 424-2626.
* Bayside Café: for every main course, get another lesser-priced main course. Lunch Monday – Friday, Sunday – Thursday. Until October. Tel (021) 438-2650.
* Mamma Mia Restaurant, Steenberg: 2-courses R150, 3-courses R175. Until August. Tel (021) 701-8585
* Café Chameleon, Plattekloof: lunch pizza minus 10%, until August. Tel (021) 911-1025.
* Cape Town Fish Market, “All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R60, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays; Seafood buffet lunch R125, Sundays and public holidays. Winter. Tel (021) 554-5962.
* Tobago Restaurant, Radisson Blu, Granger Bay: two main courses for price of one, Monday – Saturdays. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 441-3414
* La Bruixa, Sea Point: Seafood paella for two for R260, includes a salad. Lunch 12h00 – 15h00. Until June. Tel (021) 434-8797
* Sinatra’s, Pepper Club Hotel, Loop Street: Glass of bubbly and 6 oysters for R 60. Fridays from 16h00. Until December. Tel (021) 812-8826
* Chai yo, Canal Walk: Buy two main meals and get lesser priced one free. Winter. Monday – Sunday. Tel (021) 555-0620.
* La Boheme, Sea Point: 2-courses R95, 3-courses R115. Throughout 2011. Tel (021) 434-8797.
* Food Barn, Noordhoek: 3-courses with 2 glasses of Steenberg wine R165, 4-courses with 3 glasses of Steenberg wine R185, 5-courses with 4 glasses of Steenberg wine R215. Lunch daily. Wednesday – Saturday dinner, May – October. Tel (021) 789-1390
* What’s On Eatery, Watson Str: 2 course dinner at R 99, includes a glass of wine. Breakfast weekdays R25. Lunch R39, menu changes daily, on weekdays, R5 extra for glass of wine or milkshake, every 7th lunch is free with What’s On Loyalty Card. 11 May – October. Tel (021) 422-5652
* Nobu, One&Only Cape Town, Cape Town: 5-course R299, May – August. Tel (021) 431-4511.
* The Kove, Camps Bay: 2-courses R 120, 3-courses R150. Rump steak R79, Fillet R99, Grilled Norwegian Salmon R99, Peri Peri baby chicken R90, Line fish R90, Seafood platter R165, Gourmet Burger R60. Winter. Tel (021) 438-0004
* The Greenhouse, Cellars-Hohenhort Hotel, Constantia: 6-course meal with wines from Klein Constantia R295. Tuesday – Friday. Until September. Tel (021) 794-2137
* Dear Me, Longmarket Street: 25 % off standard price of 3-course (R240) or 5-course (R350) dinner. Thursdays. From 19 May until July. Tel (021) 422-4920
* Zenzero, Camps Bay: 2-courses R150, 3-courses R180. Parmesam lamb R99, Veal Saltimbocca R89, Beef & Reef R 120, Gnocchi Ragu R69, Pancetta and pea risotto R79, Canneloni R69, and Kingklip R99. Winter. Tel (021) 438-0007
* The Round House, Camps Bay: 7-course lunch and dinner R240, or R460 paired with wine. Winter. Tel (021) 438-4347
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson Hotel: 4-course Vegan Journey menu R300, 4-course The Journey menu R220, 6-course The Journey menu R300. Winter. Tel (021) 483-1000.
* Brio 1893: 3-course dinner R165. Monday – Thursday. Closing down 12 August. Tel (021) 422-0654
* GOLD Restaurant: Winter special R200 + 10 % service fee. June – September. Tel (021) 421-4653
* Salt Restaurant, Ambassador Hotel: 2 courses R120 amd 3 courses R140. Receive a voucher for a free bottle of Hartenberg wine for the next visit if order two 3-course meals. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 439-7258
* Tuscany Beach, Camps Bay: 50 % off partner’s main course, Dinner, daily; 25 % off Sushi, 12h00 – 18h00, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 438-1213.
* 1800 Degrees, Cape Royale Luxury Hotel: Hot and cold Tapas and jazz, with a bottle of Diemersfontein wine per couple R195 per person, Sundays, 12h00 – 15h00. 100 gram sirloin, 100 gram rump and 100 gram rib eye steaks R99 plus one sauce and jacket potato. Winter. Tel (021) 430-0511.
* St Elmo’s: 2 large regular pizzas R99,90, 2 medium regular pizzas R69,90 Take-away, Daily. 2 Large pizzas R79,90 on Tuesdays; 1 Large pizza plus 400g rack of ribs and chips for R109,90, Take Away, daily; Small pizza plus 330ml Coke R24,90, Monday – Friday lunch. Winter. www.stelmos.co.za
* Café Delicieux, Welgemoed: 2-course dinner R125, 3-courses R155. Friday evenings. Winter. Tel (021) 913-1053
* Café Manhattan, 74 Waterkant Street and 247 Main Road, Three Anchor Bay: Burger and a glass of wine R45. Winter. Tel (021) 421-6666/Tel (021) 439-9666.
* Pigalle, Green Point: 3 course dinner and show R330 – R350, 8 June, 21 July, 10 August, 14 September. Tel (021) 421-4848
* Pepper Club on the Beach, Camps Bay: Seafood platter R149,95; Sirloin plus 3 prawns R 98,95; Prawn platter R98,95. Until 31 December. Tel (021) 438-3174
* Mint, Taj Hotel: 3 courses plus a glass of Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc or Merlot R185, Monday – Sundays, Until 30 September. Tel (021) 819-2000
* News Café, Green Point: English Breakfast R19, 7h00 – 9h00 Monday – Friday, 7h30 – 9h00 Saturday and Sunday, until 1 February 2012
* Long Street Café: Butter Chicken Curry and rice, R55, until 10 June, Monday – Sunday. tel (021) 424-2464
* Savour Restaurant, 15 on Orange: 3-course meal R180, Monday – Sunday, Until 31 August. Tel (021) 469-8037
* La Colombe, Constantia: Lunch – 3-courses R240, 3-courses plus wine R280, Monday – Saturday, until 30 November. Dinner – 5-courses R310, 5-courses plus wine R390, Monday – Saturday, until September. Closed 30 May – 20 June.
* Catharina’s, Steenberg Hotel: 2-course lunch R165, 3-course lunch R195, 3-course dinner R215. Until 1 September. Tel (021) 713-2222
* The Grand Café and Beach Granger Bay: 2-courses R 125, 3-courses R150, Tuesday – Sunday. Winter. Tel (021) 425-0551
* Constantia Uitsig: 2-course lunch and dinner R190, 3-course lunch R220, 3-course dinner R250, Monday – Saturday. Until 30 September. Closed 4 – 26 July.
* Blues, Camps Bay: 2-courses R120, 3-courses R150, includes a glass of wine and cup of coffee. Monday – Sunday. Until 1 September.
* River Café, Constantia: 3-courses and carafe of wine R180, lunch, Monday – Saturday. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 794-3010. Closed 10 – 30 August.
* La Cuccina, Hout Bay: Homemade meal for two plus bottle of wine R100. Monday – Saturday. Until 30 December.
* Mugged on Roeland: All you can eat Pizza R80, Friday evenings. Until 30 December. Tel 084 5894 665
* Chapman’s Peak Hotel, Hout Bay: Free bottle of Elements wine plus 2 Amarula Crème Brulee with two meat main courses ordered; 1 kg prawns R99; Soup R35; Malay Lamb Curry R89; Mussel Mexicana R69; Winter Platter R99. Monday – Saturday lunch and dinner. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 790-1036
* Rick’s Café Américain, Park Road: Tapas or Mezze Platter plus 1/2 litre house wine R105; 1/2 litre Paulaner, Erdinger and Valentins beer R 30, 5 – 7 pm; Lunch specials from R39; and more specials on drinks. Winter. Tel (021) 424-1100
* Barocca, Camps Bay Club: 2 for the price of one burgers Tuesday evenings; Pasta and a glass of wine R50 Thursday evenings. From 5 pm. Winter. Tel (021) 438-1992
* Seaforth Restaurant, Simonstown: Deep fried prawns R90 Tuesdays; hake and chips R38 Wednesdays; Eat as much calamari as you like R49 Thursdays; Steak and calamari R78 Fridays; Eat as much as you like pork spare ribs R88 Saturdays. From 6 pm. June. Tel (021) 786-4810
* Pizzeria Villagio, Howard Centre, Pinelands: Free glass of Teddy Hall wine with home-made pasta on Tuesdays. Winter. Tel (021) 531-4473.
* delish, Hout Bay: Cooked breakfast R35; Soup and ciabatta R30, Monday – Friday lunch; Tagines, ragouts and curries plus glass of wine or beer R75, from 12h00, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 790-5324
* Café Sofia, Sea Point, Kloof Street, Camps Bay and Green Point: Buy 2 main courses and get one free, from 17h00, daily. Winter.
* Saul’s Taverna, Sea Point: 2-course meal and cocktails for two R140. Winter. Tel 087 151 4592
* Adega, Sea Point: Lamb shank R69, Feijoada R89, 1kg King Prawns R95. Winter. Tel (021) 434-3029
* La Grotto, Plumstead: 300g rump steak R89. Winter. Tel (021) 797-8420.
* Wangthai, V&A Waterfront, Constantia, Lagoon Beach, Somerset West: Free glass of Durbanville Hills wine with Curry Festival meal. Winter. Tel (021) 421-8702/(021) 794-0022/(021) 551-9254/(021) 855-0112.
* Addis in Cape Ethiopian Restaurant, 41 Church Street: 2-course set menu R130. Tel (021) 424-5722. Winter
* Ocean Basket, Western Cape: Oysters R8 each, until 15 July.
* Azure Restaurant, Twelve Apostles Hotel, Camps Bay: 4-courses R370, 5-courses R495, wine flight prices R50 – R135, until October. Tel (021) 437-9000
* Diva Pizza, Buitenkant Street: 2 large margherita pizzas with choice of two toppings R85 on Tuesday and Saturday evenings. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 461-0013
* Harveys, Winchester Mansions, Sea Point: 2-course lunch R130, 3-course lunch R160; 2-course dinner R150, 3-course dinner R 180. Monday – Sunday. Winter. Tel (021) 434-2351.
* Savour, 15 on Orange Hotel: Sunday Lunch Buffet plus ‘never-ending supply of Methodé Cap Classique’ R265. Winter. Tel (021) 469-8000
* Karibu, V&A Waterfront: 220g rump, Malay chicken, calamari, and bobotie R49. Monday – Sunday lunch, Sunday – Wednesday dinner. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 421-7005.
* Hussar Grill, Green Point and Camps Bay: 2-courses R99, no corkage. Winter. Tel (021) 433-2081/(021) 438-0151
* Tokyo Restaurant & Sushi Bar: Buy one get one free daily; Sushi Buffet Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturday evenings R110. Winter. Tel (021) 424-5108.
* Allee Bleue, outside Franschhoek: choice of three 250g steaks at R115, including a glass of estate wine, current. 3-course lunch R 100, and R150 with wines paired. Chicken and Prawn Potjie with Roti and glass of Allee Bleue Isabeau or Shiraz R85. Lunch, Wednesday – Sunday. Until end September. Chicnic picnics daily (weather depending), R145 per person. Summer Tel (021) 874-1021
* Ryan’s Kitchen at Rusthof, Franschhoek: 3-course dinner R195; 6 course Taste of Africa dinner R295. Winter. Closed 27 June – 14 July. Tel (021) 876-4598.
* Reuben’s, Franschhoek: 2-course lunch and dinner R 220, 3-courses R268, 4-courses R315. Current. Tel (021) 876-3772
* Allora in Franschhoek: 3-course Sunday lunch R100. Winter. Tel (021) 876-4375.
* L’ermitage, Franschhoek: 1-course R93, 2-courses R125, 3-courses R175, and glass of wine with each option. Lunch. Winter. Tel (021) 876-9200
* French Connection, Franschhoek: 2-courses R95, 3-courses R125. Winter. Tel (021) 876-4056
* Grande Provence Jonkershuis, Franschhoek: 4-course lunch and dinner, minimum 8 guests, R200. Monday – Saturday dinner, Monday – Sunday lunch. Closed 18 – 31 July. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 876-8600
* Mon Plaisir @Chamonix, Franschhoek: 2-courses R 170, 3-courses R199. Winter. Tuesday – Sunday lunch, Wednesday – Saturday dinner. Tel (021) 876-2393.
* Monneaux Restaurant, Franschhoek Country House: Cape Malay Curry R95, Wednesday evenings; Firecracker Menu – 2 courses R145, 3 courses R175, all nights. Winter. Tel (021) 876-3386
* Salmon Bar, Franschhoek: 3-course dinner plus glass of Porcupine Ridge R150, Fridays and Saturdays. Winter. Tel (021) 876-4591.
* Mange Tout, Mont Rochelle Hotel, Franschhoek: 2-courses plus glass of wine R150, 3-courses plus glass of wine R190, Winter Brunch Buffet plus glass of bubbly R150. Winter. Tel (021) 876-3000.
* Fyndraai, Solms Delta, Franschoek. 2-course Sunday Lunch Buffet R125. Tel (021) 874-3937.
* Laborie Restaurant in Paarl: 5 food portions each paired with wine R395. Winter. Tel (021) 807-3095
* Freedom Hill: 10 % off discount with Loyalty Card. Closed July and August. Winter. Tel (021) 867-0963
* Bosman’s, Grande Roche, Paarl: 2-courses R120, 3-courses R155. Monday – Sunday lunch. Until April (except 20 December – 10 January). Tel (021) 863-5100.
* Olivello, Klapmuts, outside Stellenbosch: 2-course meal R115, 3-course meal R135 plus glass of wine. Winter. Tel (021) 875-5443
* 96 Winery Road, Stellenbosch: 3-course lunch and dinner from a la carte menu (with a few surcharges), with glass of Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc or Petit Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, R180, Winter; 4-course Chocolate dinner in conjunction with Lindt Chocolate Studio. R300. 15 June. Tel (021) 842-2020
* Warwick, Stellenbosch: Tapas menu range R15 – R45 per dish. Winter. Tel (021) 884-4410
* Dornier Bodega, Stellenbosch: Meat-free Mondays, Comfort Tuesdays, Pasta Wednesdays, Soup Thursdays, Fish Fridays, all R79, lunch, May – September, Tel (021) 880-0557
* Towerbosch Restaurant, Knorhoek Wine Estate, Stellenbosch: Soup & Bredie Menu with soup and bredie R90, Wednesdays – Saturdays; Asado Argentian-style braai on Sundays R165. May – August. Tel (021) 865-2958
* Tokara Restaurant, Stellenbosch: Chef’s Menu – 3 courses and amuse bouche and palate cleanser R225. From 10 May, during winter. Tel (021) 885-2550
* Jordan Restaurant with George Jardine, Stellenbosch: 1-course meal with glass of wine R95; 4-course meal with 2 glasses of wine R 225. Tuesday – Saturday lunch, Thursday and Friday dinners. From 10 May in winter. Tel (021) 881-3612
* Terroir, Kleine Zalze estate: 2-courses R170, 3-courses R195. Includes glass of Kleine Zalze wine. May – September. Monday – Saturday lunch and dinner, Sunday lunch. Closed 1 – 11 July. Tel (021) 880-8167
* Restaurant Christophe, Stellenbosch: 4-course dinner R150 Tuesday – Saturday. Inexpensive Bistro lunches Tuesday – Friday. Closed down 24 June. Tel (021) 886-8763
* Overture, Stellenbosch: 2-course meal R 160. Winter, but closed in July. Tel (021) 880-2721
* Wild Peacock Food Emporium, 32 Piet Retief Str, Stellenbosch: 3-course dinner and glass of wine R140. Wednesday evenings. Winter. Tel (021) 887-7585
* Delaire Graff, Helshoogte Pass, Stellenbosch : 3-course Organic Tasting Menu with 2 glasses of wine R295, Monday – Friday lunch, Wednesday – Friday dinner. Winter. Tel (021) 886-8160
* Johan’s at Longridge, Stellenbosch: 2-course lunch plus glass of wine R150. Friday – Tuesday lunch (closed Wednesdays and Thursdays). Winter. Tel (021) 855-2004.
* Delheim, Knorhoek Road, Stellenbosch: 3-course Mushroom Week mushroom menu R120 for 3 courses and 3 glasses of Delheim wine. Until 10 July. Tel (021) 888-4607
* Waterkloof, Somerset West: Receive a R100 voucher off for a meal in June, for meals in May. Tel (021) 858-1491
* Season in Hermanus: Sunday lunch roast from R65; Afval plus soup and glass of wine R65 on Wednesday for lunch or dinner; Lowest priced of two steaks ordered on Friday evenings is free. August. Tel (028) 316-2854
* The Class Room, Hermanus: 3-course Sunday lunch R130. Winter. Tel (028) 316-3582
* Rossi’s Italian Restaurant, Hermanus: Half price pizza and pasta Mondays; free bottle of house wine for table of 2 or more on Wednesdays; Children under 4 eat free on Thursdays. Winter. Tel (028) 312-2848
* Mediterrea, Hermanus: 50 % off all main courses, Sunday – Thursdays. Until 31 August. Tel (028) 313-1685
* Joe’s Restaurant, Stanford: Abalone Buffet (abalone fritters, sausage, scotch eggs, burgers, curry, samoosas, and lasagne) R95, daily lunch. Winter. Tel (028) 3410 662
* Nguni – Friday dinner special R50. Every Friday. Winter. Tel (044) 533-6710
POSTSCRIPT 5/5: TV presenter Liezel van der Westhuizen has praised her Restaurant Special meal at Blowfish as follows: “Thank you for your HotWinter specials on your site, tried out the lunch special at BlowFish, it was good value for money xoxo”
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage
Copyright: Whale Cottage Portfolio
One of the exciting things about winter is that a number of restaurants are offering excellent value Gourmet evenings, with top wine makers presenting their wines, paired with special dishes prepared by the chefs of the restaurants. It is a shame that some of the dates clash.
The Pavilion at The Marine Hotel, Hermanus
6 May: Bouchard Finlayson Winery
3 June: Paul Cluver Wines
1 July: Klein Constantia Wine Estate
5 August: Creation Wines
2 September: Hamilton Russell Vineyards & Southern Right
The 5-course dinners, paired with wines, cost R 320 per person. Tel (028) 313-1000
The Grand Café Camps Bay
11 May: Peter Falke Wines
15 June: Stellekaya
13 July: Haute Cabriere
The 3-course food and wine pairing dinner costs R300. Tel (021) 438-4253 NOTE THAT THE RESTAURANT IS CLOSED UNTIL END JULY, CONTRADICTING THE NOTICE ABOUT THE PAIRINGS THEY SENT
The Grand on the Beach
18 May: Antonij Rupert Wines
22 June: Ernst Gouws & Co
20 July: Peter Falke
The 3-course food and wine pairing dinner costs R300. Tel (021) 425-0551
Bosman’s, Grande Roche Hotel, Paarl
27 May: AA Badenhorst Family Wines with winemaker Adi Badenhorst
10 June: The House of Krone with winemaker Matthew Krone
22 July: Glen Carlou with winemaker Arco Laarman
26 August: Backsberg with winemaker Guillaume Nell
3 September: Nederburg Auction Pre-dinner with cellarmaster Razvan Macici
28 October: Raats Family Wines with winemaker Bruwer Raats
The 5-course meal with wine, coffee, canapés and petit fours costs R690. Tel (021) 863-5100
The Garden Room, Mount Nelson Hotel
29 April: Vergelegen with winemaker Andre van Rensburg
27 May: Bouchard Finlayson with winemaker and owner Peter Finlayson
24 June: Neil Ellis Wines with owner Neil Ellis
29 July: Groote Post with winemaker Lukas Wentzel
26 August: Rust en Vrede with winemaker Coenie Snyman
30 September: Deetlefs with winemaker Willie Stofberg
28 October: Boschendal with winemaker Lizelle Gerber
15 November: Moreson with winemaker Clayton Reabow
9 December: Boekenhoutskloof with winemaker Marc Kent.
The 7-course dinner costs R 395 per person with matching wines. Tel (021) 483-1000
Chenin Wine Bar and Restaurant
26 May: Ernie Els Wines
Cost is R 100. Tel (021) 425-2200
28 April: Buitenverwachting winemaker Brad Paton
Cost of the 5-course meal is R460. Tel (021) 794-3522
Nobu at One&Only Cape Town
29 April: Stark-Condé Wines
Cost of the 7-course meal is R R480. Tel (021) 431-5111
What’s On, Watson Street
7 May: Fleur du Cap winemaker Christoff de Wet
Cost of the 6-course dinner and wines is R300 per person or R500 per couple. Tel (021) 422-5652
9 May: Mischa and Eventide
6 June: Barton Wines winemaker JP Geyer
4 July: Nabygelegen with winemaker James McKenzie
Cost of 5-course dinner and wines is R 200. Tel (021) 465-2727
1800°C Grill Room, Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
7 May: Hartenberg Estate
2 June: Morgenhof
7 July: Warwick wine estate
4 August: La Motte Wine Estate
Cost of 4-course dinner with welcome drink and wines R335. Tel (021) 430-0506
Casa Nostra, Sea Point
28 May: Fairview
2 July: Klein Constantia
Cost of 4-course meal R230. Tel (021) 433-0187
30 June: Fleur du Cap Unfiltered
Cost of 5-course meal, Wine and Flavoured Salt tasting by Craig Cormack of Sofia’s is R400. Tel (021) 809-8025
22 June: L’Avenir Vineyards
6 July: Constantia Glen
3 August : Diemersdal
7 September: Creation Wines
5 October: Rustenberg Wines
Cost of 3-course Tapas and wine pairing R 220 per person. Tel (021) 422-3839.
24 August: Overgaauw vintage port pairing (with David van Velden) with food, R80. Tel (021) 422-3839
Café BonBon, Franschhoek
8 June: Jacoline Haasbroek from My Wyn
22 June: Haut Espoir
4-course dinner and wine pairing R195 per person. Tel (021) 876-3936
La Mouette, Sea Point
8 June: Arco Laarman from Glen Carlou
4-course French theme dinner R240 per person. Tel (021) 433-0856
Swiss & Austrian Social Club, Sea Point
11 June: Waverley Hills Organic Wines
5-course dinner paired with five wines R250. Tel (021) 434-8405
19 July: Joubert-Tradauw
9-course emal paired with wines R225. Tel (021) 424-6334
15 on Orange
21 July: Warwick wines
6-course meal paired with wines R295. Tel (021) 469-8000
27 July: Glenwood Wines
4-course meal paired with wines R220. Tel (021) 551-5000
Warwick Wine Estate
22 and 29 July: 4-course dinner paired with Warwick wines, celebrating Stellenbosch Wine Festival. R390. Tel (021) 884-4410
The Class Room, Hermanus
12 August: Rust en Vrede
3-course dinner paired with wines R195. Tel (028) 316-3582
Harvey’s at Winchester Mansions
3 August: Avontuur Wine Estate
5-course dinner paired with 7 Avontuur wines R345. Tel (021) 434-2351
5 October: Luddite
5-course dinner paired with 6 Luddite wines at R345 per person Tel (021) 434-2351
Sinn’s, Wembley Square
25 August: Durbanville Hills with winemaker Wilhelm Coetzee
4-course dinner paired with 4 wines R225. Tel (021) 465-0967
Pure Restaurant, Hout Bay Manor
24 September: Groote Post wine estate
5-course dinner paired with wines R 260. Tel (021) 791-9393
96 Winery Road
28 September: Van Ryn’s
4-course dinner paired with Van Ryn’s brandy R320. Tel (021) 842-2020
Cassia Restaurant, Nitida wine estate, Durbanville
30 September: Nitida wines
4-course dinner paired with Nitida wines R 300. Tel (021) 976-0640
Bayside Café, Camps Bay
30 September: Beyerskloof Wines
5-course dinner paired with Beyerskloof Wines R 175 per person. Tel (021) 438-2650
Clos Malverne, Stellenbosch
28 October: Clos Malverne wines
5-course dinner paired with Clos Malverne wines R 445. Tel (021) 865-2022
La Residence, Franschhoek
18 November: Waterford Wines with winemaker Francois Haasbroek
6-course Dinner paired with Waterford wines R 800. Tel (021) 876-4100
The Vineyard Hotel
Friday 13 May
Schalk Burger & Sons
Friday 27 May
Warwick & Vilafonté
Friday 10 June
West Coast Wines with Tierhoek
Friday 24 June
Stellakaya with Ntsiki Biyela
Friday 1 July
Friday 15 July
Solms Delta Wine Estate
Friday 5 August
Dombeya Wines with Rianie Strydom
Friday 19 August
Catherine Marshall Wines
Friday 2 September
Meerlust Wine Estate
Friday 16 September
Favourites from Wine Concepts
Friday 7 October
Friday 21 October
Wines from the Swartland (Kloovenburg, Babylon’s Peak)
Friday 28 October
Constantia Valley Wines
The dinner costs R 250 per person. Tel (021) 657-4500.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage