I have driven past Dalewood Farm for many years on my way to and from Franschhoek, but had read that one could only enter by invitation. Yesterday a blackboard on the R45 invited me onto the farm, and the surprise Cheesery Shop, a Factory shop offering the cheese range at reduced prices to the public.
Dalewood Fromage is owned by Rob and Petrina Visser, who keep a very low profile. The Dalewood cheeses are made from Jersey milk from the farm’s own herd. Their pasture is bio-dynamically managed, and the herd is not treated with antibiotics air hormones. Dalewood cheeses do not contain preservatives, flavorants, or colourants.
A friendly sales lady greeted me, and allowed me to taste their Boland three-month matured cheddar, and their Wineland Brie. Two fridges stand in the Cheesery Shop, the one containing the signature cheeses (Lanquedoc, a Camembert without mould, which I had never seen nor tasted before, available at 250-300g pack sizes at R 144 per kg; Boland three-month matured, in 600g and 1,2 kg sizes, at R 172 per kg; and Huguenot six-month matured cheese, the cheese that has won most awards to date, and available in 250g, 500g, and 1 kg pack sizes, at R176 per kg).
* Wineland Chefs Camembert, in 250g, at R 30,90
* Wineland Chefs Camembert with added Fig, Chilli, and Blue, in 250g, at R33,50
* Wineland Camembert Oval, in 150g, at R18,55
* Wineland Camembert Mini, in 100g, at R12,35
* Wineland Camembert Baby, in 60g, at R7,55
* Wineland Brie in 125 g (R15), 1,25kg (at R115,20 per kg), and Donut in 1,2 kg ( R125 per kg)
* Wineland Brie Exotics with Green Fig, Cape Chilli, Crushed Olive, and Wild Mushroom, in 125g (R129,80 per kg) and in 1,25 kg (R123,80 per kg)
* Wineland Blue Camembert (150g at R125,50 per kg); Blue Brie in 125g (R126,70 per kg) and 1,25 kg (R120,80 per kg)
* Brie Superlatif, in 160g (R19,50) and in 2,5 kg (R113,20 per kg)
* Traditional Camembert, in 125g (R15,10) and 250g (R30,10)
One can also buy preserves and jams, cheese platters (R37,30 for one, R60 for two persons), cheese knives, and cheese boards.
Dalewood Fromage Cheesery Shop, R45, Klapmuts. Tel (021) 875-5725. www.dalewood.co.za Monday – Friday 9h00 – 16h00 in summer, 10h00 – 15h30 in winter.