* In the World Travel Awards 2014 Cape Town was named Leading Destination as well as Leading Cruise Port (ironic as its facilities in the harbour to receive cruise line guests are so poor) in Africa. For Africa The Pepperclub Hotel & Spa was named Leading City Hotel; Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront Leading Conference Hotel; Cape Royale Luxury Hotel & Spa Leading Hotel Residences; Ellerman House Villa One Leading Luxury Villa; and Table Mountain Leading Tourist Attraction. (received via media release from Cape Town Tourism)
* Top Stellenbosch chefs Tanja Kruger of Makaron at Majeka House, Christiaan Campbell of Delaire Graff, Bertus Basson of Overture, and Michael Broughton of Terroir, as well as Somerset West-based Chef Gregory Czernecki of Waterkloof will be preparing the food for Stellenbosch at Summer Place, a showcase of the best wines, art, and food from the Winelands town, which will be held on 15 October at Summer Place. Entrance costs R500. (received via media release from Random Hat Communications)
* Ultimate Braai Master ‘Time for Tough‘ 13 series Season 3 starts sizzling on etv this evening, at 20h30. It is described as the ‘toughest season’ yet, on a 9000 km trip and 13 braai challenge journey around our country. Chefs Bertus Basson and Petrus Madutlela were the judges. The winning team will win R500000, a Renault Duster 4×4, a Big Green Egg, a trip to Kerala in India, and will hold the title ‘Ultimate Braai Master’. (received via media release from Cooked in Africa Films)
* Dr Hans Roos (brother of owner Karen Roos) is a clivia expert, and donated 9000 plants to Babylonstoren when it first opened. This month is Clivia Month at Babylonstoren, and on 20 September Dr Roos will present a talk at the wine farm on how to grow clivias. Cost R150 includes refreshments. (received via newsletter from Franschhoek Wine Valley)
* The annual Klein Optenhorst Spring Open Garden will be held at the home of the Ferreiras in Wellington on 25 and 26 October. The entrance fee of R40 includes tea, coffee, and scones. Jenny Ferreira’s nursery will be open on both days, selling plants. (received via e-mail from Klein Optenhorst)
* Haas Design and coffee shop will re-open in its new premises at 19 Buitenkant Street tomorrow 12 September.