The Eat Out Top 20 Restaurant List will be announced shortly, and as has become tradition, we have prepared our prediction for what we believe the top twenty restaurants in our country to be. We also announce the judges for the 2016 Eat Out Top 10. Continue reading →
* Uber and Discovery Health are partnering in a flu vaccination drive on Friday 22 May, between 10h00 and 16h00, a Discovery Health accredited nurse coming to one’s home or work and offering five vaccinations to persons 18+ years for R100. The promotional code is UBERHEALTHSA. The nurse will also bring a flu prevention pack with some surprise items. Discovery Vitality members receive 1000 Vitality points, while DiscoveryCard holders will receive a refund of the R100. (received via media release from Uber).
* KWV has won 35 international awards in three competitions in the past week: At the International Wine Continue reading →
* The Dutch government is sponsoring World Design Capital 2014 with a R4,5 million investment through the ‘Department of Design’ event, to be held at Provenance Auction House in Vrede Street in Cape Town from 8 – 27 July. A Dutch economic trade mission will visit Cape Town and the event, which consists of workshops, presentations, debates, and activity relating to sustainability, focusing on water management, transport and logistics, agriculture and farming, health and science, and the creative industries in particular.
* R4,7 million has been spent to upgrade the facilities of the Department of Home Affairs’ passport control counter at Cape Town International, in the interest of improved service, reports The New Age. Passport control has been moved closer to the Duty Free section of the airport. An automated queuing system with turnstiles has been introduced.
* Start-up Cape Town company Over has won first prize in the U-Start Conference in Milan, its app allowing one to place text and artwork over photographs. The app has been downloaded 8 million times since it was developed in 2012. Western Cape Minister Continue reading →
* British Airways has launched a You Tube video ‘On Top of the World’, which probably is a TV commercial for its A380 flights to South Africa (it does not say if they are flying to Cape Town too), and was filmed exclusively in Cape Town, including on top of Table Mountain, on Camps Bay beach, with Lion’s Head as a backdrop, at Boulders Beach, and showing a Cape Town flower seller, a rugby player, and a cyclist.
* SATSA (Southern African Tourism Services Association) CEO David Frost says that tourists should be encouraged to see more of South Africa than the Big Five, Cape Town, the Kruger National Park, Johannesburg, and the Garden Route. Attractions in other provinces are not known to travelers. Repeat visits to our country should be increased, and the deceased time spent should be reversed, he added. He encouraged SA Tourism to develop trade deals that draw visitors to lesser known attractions. Travelers are not only visiting South Africa, but are also incorporating Namibia, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique into their itineraries.
* Wellington Wines is planning to treble its sales of bulk wine to the UK to 6 million litres by next year, and projects Continue reading →