* Passengers traveling by plane may be faced with hand luggage size reductions by up to 40%, it was announced last week. The new dimensions have not yet been announced, but 50 airlines have agreed in principle, reported German TV channel ZDF. Should the hand luggage not meet the new size guidelines, a charge of $25 may be levied.
* Do hotel star ratings still matter, when TripAdvisor has become the ‘ People’s Choice Awards’ of Accommodation, Attractions, and Restaurants, asks Travel Weekly.
* Alto has appointed a new winemaker, its fifth in almost a century. Bertho van der Westhuizen has taken over the job from his father Schalk, the second father-to-son hand-over in Alto’s winemaker history. (Received via media release from Manley Communications)
* Frankfurt airport had its busiest month ever in May, with 5,6 million passengers, a 5% increase from the year before.
* Twenty finalist steakhouses in the The Wolftrap Best Steakhouse Awards 2015 have been announced. Cape Town has four finalists (HQ, Cattle Baron Table View, Local Grill, and Theo’s), Gauteng has six, and the Southern Cape and KwaZulu- Natal each have three. The winner will be announced on 30 June. (received via media release from Hazell Public Relations and Wine Consultants)