* Minister of Tourism Marthinus van Schalkwyk is attending the International Toerismusboerse (ITB) Travel Expo in Berlin. The Minister said that German tourist arrivals have increased by 153% since 1994, measured at 26600 in 2012. ‘Germany is our third largest source of overseas tourists. It’s been an incredible journey in which South Africa has emerged from a wildlife destination, serving primarily a domestic market, to one of the most visible, exciting, culturally diverse and varied global tourist destinations in the world today‘, the Minister said.
* A number of bush camps as well as roads, have been closed in the Kruger National Park due to flooding caused by heavy rains, especially in the southern parts of the park.
* IATA (International Air Transport Association) figures for January 2014 show a healthy 8% increase in airline passenger demand relative to the same month in 2013.
* The most expensive champagnes are as follows: Goût de Diamants (Taste of Diamonds, £1,2 million), Moët & Chandon Dom Perignon Charles & Diana 1961 (£2576), Krug Clos d’Ambonnay (£1615), Boërl & Kroff Brut (£1488), Moët & Chandon Dom Perignon White Gold (£1475), Boërl & Kroff Brut Rose (£1314), Krug Private Cuvée (£1189), Moët & Chandon Dom Perignon by Karl Lagerfeld (£1169), Krug Brut David Sugar Engraved ‘Quail Design in Flowering Tree‘ (£1080), and Moët & Chandon Bi Centenary Cuvée Dry Imperial (£832).
* Royco has won Product of the Year in the Sauces category in the annual Nielsen survey amongst 5000 households, for the third year running. The sauces range is endorsed by the Heart and Stroke Foundation, and bears the Heartmark logo. (received via media release from GC Communications)
* Camps Bay is one of three free wifi hotspots in Cape Town, with the Company’s Garden and the V&A Waterfront.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage