* Distell has handed over a whale disentanglement kit to the NSRI in Hermanus, funded by monies raised at the Whale Festival.
* Fewer flights leaving the UK are delayed.
* Cape Town has a new ambassador in Katie Holmes, Tweeting from Table Mountain with a photograph yesterday: ‘Beautiful day in Cape Town’.
* The SA Brandy Foundation has recognised the contribution of a number of its product drinkers, and has inducted them into the Brandy Guild of SA: Elana Afrika-Bredenkamp, Warren Haefele, Schalk Burger, Wini Bowman, Peter Pitsiladi, Mike Meyers, and Amaro Fernandes. (received via Manley Communications)
* Carlos Santana will be performing at the Grand Arena in Cape Town on 25, 26 and 27 February, his first Cape Town appearance ever.
* About 41000 visitors from around the world attended the World Travel Market (WTM) in London earlier this week.
* World Travel Market (WTM) is massive, offers poor quality food, has very poor wifi connectivity, and is far out of the centre of London, writes an American travel writer and first time attendee. She provides valuable tips to future attendees.
* The South African Rugby Union with Tourvest is one of three international tour operators which has received the right to make bookings for travel packages for the Rugby World Cup 2015, to be held in the UK in September/October 2015.
* Bellingham 2012 The Bernard Series Chenin Blanc is recommended as a special Christmas gift in Ontario, the only South African wine in the list of recommendations.
* In addition to serving Italian style Antipasti and bread platters under the olive trees offered by the Anthonij Rupert Estate’s Terra del Capo Tasting Room, one can also buy its extra virgin olive oils, honey, cured marinated olives, artisanal bread, fresh herbs, freshly roasted coffee, strawberry and vanilla jam, Rooibos biscuits, chocolate espresso fudge, and Verjuice from its Tasting Room farm shop. (received via Smart Communications & Events)
* World number 2 chef Rene Redzepi from Noma in Copenhagen has published a book entitled ‘A Work In Progress: Notes on Food, Cooking and Creativity’. The book documents his life since he decided to write a journal in 2010, and has three sections: a journal, a recipe book, and a collection of photographs.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage