Now Kloof Street has been named as one of 33 coolest streets in the world by TimeOut, ranked at number 26.
The Street has a large number of eateries (including Chef Jan-Hendrik van der Westhuizen’s JAN Innovation Studio, and World’s Best Ice Cream Parlour Unframed), bars, a prestige school, an entrance to the five-star Mount Nelson, affordable accommodation, clothing boutiques, a petrol station, furniture outlets, estate agencies, and more.
TimeOut motivates the Kloof Street accolade as follows:
- It has fine eateries and perfect date nights
- It is versatile, appealing to locals and to tourists
- It has ‘magical views’ onto Table Mountain, and ‘buzz by the bucketful’
- It has proudly local fashion and boutique art galleries
- It has a highly-regarded Wellness Centre
TimeOut praised Kloof Street as follows:
‘Perfect for date nights, hanging out with pals, indulging in wellness treatments or tucking into some of Cape Town’s finest eateries, Kloof Street – the main thoroughfare of Gardens district – is both a local favourite and tourist drawcard. Here you can explore local fashion, pop in to a swish art gallery, dive into secondhand furniture stores or just generally catch a bucketload of local buzz, all while taking in magical views of Table Mountain.
STAY At Kloof Street Hotel, with 360-degree views of Cape Town’s skyline and mountains and its own restaurant, coffee shop and open-air swimming pool.
EAT Anything from the eclectic menu at Kloof Street House, which is an intimate, romantic setting with its stunning garden and old Victorian dining room.
DO Visit the Ubuntu Wellness Centre for massages, natural healing treatments or hydrotherapy. Aaaaaah… Yazeed ’
Kloof Street rubs shoulders with the following cool streets in the world, the top ten following below:
- Rue Wellington, Montreal (Canada)
- Gertrude Street, Melbourne (Australia)
- Great Western Road, Glasgow (Scotland)
- Yongkang Street, Taipei (Taiwan)
- Værnedamsvej, Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Karangahape Road, Auckland (New Zealand)
- Tai Ping Shan Street, Hong Kong City (Hong Kong)
- Yaowarat Road, Bangkok (Thailand)
- Oranienstrasse, Berlin (Germany)
- Hayes Street, San Francisco (USA)
Chris von Ulmenstein, WhaleTales Blog: www.whaletalesblog.com www.chrisvonulmenstein.com/blog Tel +27 082 55 11 323 Twitter:@Ulmenstein Facebook: Chris von Ulmenstein, My Cape Town Guide/Mein Kapstadt Guide, Instagram: @Chrissy_Ulmenstein @MyCapeTownGuide