At the Eat Out Awards last week the Marble Group announced that it is to open Marble in Cape Town in 2023. This follows deluxe Sandton restaurant Tang opening in the Waterfront shortly. The move of these two top restaurants confirms the dominance of Cape Town as the Gourmet Capital of South Africa.
One star Marble restaurant is headed up by Chef David Higgs, once Executive Chef of Rust & Vrede, and resulting in the restaurant becoming the number one restaurant in the country. Soon thereafter Higgs packed his bags and left the Cape, to open Marble. Saint and The Pantry opened subsequently, and make up the Marble Group.
The announcement today reveals the following details about the new Marble Cape Town restaurant :
- It will open in Spring/Summer 2023
- It will open in the V & A Waterfront, in a ‘rooftop space – framed almost entirely of glass’ and is described in its media statement to become the ‘crown jewel’ in the Waterfront, with ‘panoramic views of the Mother City from its prime location’.
- It will consist of a restaurant and a bar
- It will be a 220-seater restaurant
- The interior design planned will make it a ‘one-of-a kind, stylish and ultra luxurious space for the city. Expect all the glamour and attention to detail of Marble tailored for the Cape.’
- Artists’ work to be featured at Marble Cape Town will be by Krisjan Rossouw and Sarita Immelman, through cornicing and artworks. New artists will be incorporated in the interior design too.
- The kitchen will offer an open flame live fire experience, as Marble Johannesburg has. The menu will offer ‘premium cooked meat and produce’. But it is planned to add lighter Mediterranean flavours and dishes, and more fish dishes, cooked on the coals.
- The wine cellar will be curated by Marble Group sommelier Wikus Human, and ‘world class cocktails’ will be served.
Chris von Ulmenstein, WhaleTales Blog: www.whaletalesblog.com www.chrisvonulmenstein.com/blog Tel +27 082 55 11 323 Twitter:@Ulmenstein Facebook: Chris von Ulmenstein, My Cape Town Guide/Mein Kapstadt Guide, Instagram: @Chrissy_Ulmenstein @MyCapeTownGuide