* In honour of Mandela Day last Friday, and the launch of the new DVD of the ‘Lego‘ movie, a collection of limited edition Lego figurines of local presenters, including Gareth Cliff, Bonang Matheba (ex Metro FM), Lee-Roy Wright (SABC3 presenter), DJ Fresh (5FM), and Casper Lee (actor Spud 3) has been created. A set of three Nelson Mandela mini Lego figurines has also been launched.
* The few women honoured in Cape Town by means of statues is soon to become something of the past, when steel cut-outs of such women luminaries and outspoken leaders as the late Albertina Sisulu, Miriam Makeba, Adelaide Tambo, and Nadine Gordimer are erected along the Fan Walk leading to the Cape Town Stadium in Green Point, a World Design Capital 2014 project called ‘Wonder Women’. Architect Mokena Makeka will make up the steel statues of the women, with a positive and negative image.
* This coming weekend the focus in Cape Town will be on Street Food, with talks at Sidestreet Studios on Saturday 27 July by Andy Fenner, Yang Zhao of Beijing Opera, Gusto, and Wongama Baleni (R297.95), and a Street Food dinner (R379.95); and a Cape Town Street Food Festival on Sunday. The Street Food event is a World Design Capital 2014 project.
* JC le Roux has been named the top sparkling wine brand for the fourth year running in the TGI ICON Brand Survey, conducted amongst a sample of consumers. (received via media release from GC Communications)
* On 31 August Spier is offering a steam train service from Cape Town, which includes the train ride, a lunch at Eight, tasting five Spier wines, and a visit to their Eagles Encounter, at R450 per adult and R350 per child. (received via e-mail from Spier)
* The 155 houses on the Atlantic Seaboard which were sold in the past 18 months, in an area between Bakoven and Green Point, were valued at R1,7 billion in total, 79% of sales going to ‘African‘ purchasers (mainly from South Africa), 12% to European buyers (mainly from France), and 7% to buyers from the UK. Half of the sales were in Camps Bay.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio : www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage