It was by chance that I heard about The Newt in Somerset opening in the UK last year, a property which Babylonstoren owners Koos Bekker and Karen Roos bought in 2013 as Hadspen House, renaming the renovated estate, and turning it into a property similar to Babylonstoren outside Franschhoek. Continue reading →
WhaleTales Tourism, Food, and Wine news
* Actor and comedian Russell Brand is making a second attempt to visit our country, after having previously been denied entry when his passport did not have the required number of empty pages, reports the Weekend Argus. He will perform at Grandwest on 3 October.
* Facebook has opened its first office in Africa, located in Johannesburg, reports pctech Magazine. The continent already has Continue reading →
Almost a year after leaving Camphors at Vergelegen as an Eat Out Top 10 restaurant, Chef PJ Vadas has announced that he is setting up The Hog House on the Werf craft Bakery and Café in the more than two hundred year old Jonkershuis building at Spier in October.
The media release received from Spier states that Chef PJ will be baking breads and pastries in the custom-built wood-fired oven, and offer a light menu for breakfast and lunch. Continue reading →
Tourism, Food, and Wine news headlines
* The inflation rate has dropped to 5,3%, leading economists to speculate that the interest rate will remain unchanged or may even drop when the Reserve Bank meets next week. Inflation is expected to decrease further when the petrol price drops by an estimated R1 per litre in February, to as low as 3,3% by April.
* SAA has received a guarantee of a further R6,5 billion from the government, to allow its auditors to publish its financial results.
* The One&Only Cape Town is offering a new Wedding Concierge service, including ‘one-of-a-kind wedding proposals‘. Wedding Continue reading →