M-Net is slowly rolling out details about its MasterChef Season 4, set to air on 28 February for the first time, at 18h00, on Mondays – Thursdays.
We know the names of the three new judges and we know the name of the new venue at which the filming took place.
Now we are introduced to the 20 home cooks who made the finals.
To recap what we know about MasterChef Season 4 to date :
Introducing the 20 contestants:
- Alicia Nicola: 32 years old. Self-taught cook. Food storyteller. Influenced by her mother’s cooking and grandmother’s baking.
- Andriette De la Harpe: 32 years old, singer, events executive. She has baked during Lockdown. She loves preparing Italian food, and experimenting with curries.
- Charmaine Govender-Koen: 39 years old, from a large Indian family in Durban, a self-taught cook. During Lockdown she started a business delivering her home-cooked meals. An ‘alchemist cook’.
- Dedre Didi Stols: 30 years old, previously an art auctioneer and gallery manager on cruise ships, she changed to her love of food during Lockdown. She wants to become a cooking teacher. She cooks multi-country dishes.
- James Ovendale: 19 years old, and youngest contestant. Loves cooking pap, and loves open-flame cooking. Did cooking classes at Silwood Culinary School at the age of 13 years.
- Lisa Kayster: 26 years old. HR Consultant. Started cooking at the age of 10, in her mother’s and grandmother’s kitchens. She loves Cape Malay cooking, and is an avid fisherwoman.
- Luyanda Mafanya: 27 years old. Food influencer with 120000 Instagram Followers. Focuses on African and Italian cuisine. Cooking since the age of 7. Chef Jan-Hendrik van der Westhuizen is her role model.
- Masedi Mabe: 25 years old. He loves preparing street food, saucy food and burgers. Owns Bun2Belly burger outlet in Johannesburg
- Matthew Arnott: 25 years old. Cooking since the age of 5. Loves Mediterranean cuisine, but also Chinese cuisine, after spending time teaching English in China.
- Mohammed Haffejee: 26 years old, ‘The Suited Chef’, French techniques undermines his cooking. He started cooking and baking at the age of 8.
- Onezwa Mbola: 26 years old, a dumpling specialist, learnt in China.
- Onti Molloyi: 32 years old. She has a corporate job in the daytime. She is an Ottolenghi fan. She started cooking at age 10. Baking is her first love. She offers online cooking classes on weekend evenings.
- Shawn Godfrey: 34 years old. He has cooked since childhood. He cooks Middle Eastern and Asian style dishes. A Jamie Oliver fan.
- Sli Moroke: 27 years old. Social Media content creator. Gordon Ramsay fan. Cooks African, Italian and American cuisine.
- Sims Kubeka: 25 years old. Loves baking. Inspired by his grandmother’s cooking and baking.
- Sylvie Hurford : At 49 years the oldest contestant. Former Food stylist. She focuses on French and Mediterranean cooking. Her role models are Anthony Bourdain, Marco Pierre White, and Karen Dudley.
- Tarryn de Kock: 28 years old. Self-taught cook. Loves Mediterranean, Asian and South African cuisine. Alain Passard from L’Arpège in Paris is her hero.
- Tasnim Jadwat: 36 years old. Indian-Fusion cooking interest, She helped draw up guidelines for Halaal foods to be included in the MasterChef SA pantry.
- Tembisa Jordaan: 37 years old. Cooking since the age of 10. She cooks African, Asian, and Italian cuisine. She is inspired by Jamie Oliver. Also a film-maker.
- Dr Harri Harrinarain: 28 years old. Dentist. Cooking focused on his South African Indian roots, but loves Italian cuisine too.
What an interesting mix of contestants!
Chris von Ulmenstein, WhaleTales Blog: www.whaletalesblog.com www.chrisvonulmenstein.com/blog Tel +27 082 55 11 323 Twitter:@Ulmenstein Facebook: Chris von Ulmenstein, My Cape Town Guide/Mein Kapstadt Guide Instagram: @Chrissy_Ulmenstein @MyCapeTownGuide