‘Franschhoek Uncorked‘ has taken some time to take off, having been plagued by poor weather in the initial years. It has become a fun event on the Franschhoek events calendar, and now the seventh annual event attracts wine lovers to the village come rain or shine. This coming weekend (27 and 28 September) 21 wine estates will be attracting visitors to their farms, to show them how unique each of them is.
Each wine estate will offer tastings of their wines, included in the R120 fee for the weekend, foods for sale, some with art exhibitions, as well as musical entertainment, a unique offering by each farm.
The following wine farms will be showcased:
* Babylonstoren: wine and olive tastings, cellar tours, and a 3-course Pizza meal (R200)
* Noble Hill: Mexican foods, Hitichino Japanese craft beer, and wine tasting
* Rupert & Rothschild: tasting of Rupert & Rothschild wines as well as of Rothschild wines. Foods offered include French cheeses, moules marinière, aged grass-fed beef fillet.
* Vrede en Lust: ‘artisan tasting‘ with winemaker (R100), a la carte menu, wine tasting, and live music.
* Plaisir de Merle: French music, wine tasting, and crèpes.
* Allée Bleue: music, Bubbly Bar, wine tasting, light meals, products to buy from their Marché (herbs, cheeses, olive oils, and more)
* Solms-Delta: wine tasting, ‘Kaapse cuisine, lekker live music‘!
* Anthonij Rupert Wines: wine tasting, live music, Oyster Bar, slow roast lamb sandwiches, Italian paninis, and 3-course Harvest style feast on Saturday evening served with Protea wines (R350)
* Lynx Wines: Spanish music, tapas, wine tasting, and release of new Lynx Grenache 2013
* Topiary: meet new French owners, French culinary treats, music, wines, and meet co-owner and international sommelier Serge Jaczynski.
* La Chataigne: 2014 wine releases, music, pulled pork sandwiches.
* Eikehof: wine tasting, live music, prego rolls
* Maison Estate: artisanal Deli fare, breads, cheeses, preserves, and spreads, live music, wine tasting.
* Leopard’s Leap: Braai picnic, wine tasting
* Four Paws: Kokkedoor contestant Renette Vosloo cooking, cheese by Madame Fromage, live music, art exhibition, Winemaker’s Long Table 3-course dinner Saturday evening at R300, with wines.
* Rickety Bridge: Gourmet Braai, wine tasting, live music
* Black Elephant Vintners: first public introduction to new cellar, music, cake and wine pairings, including Banting!
* Dieu Donné: whacky golf, lamb on the spit, DJ, wine tasting, food from Roca restaurant.
* Haute Cabriere: music, wine tasting, ‘Delicious Little Things‘ menu
* La Bri: music, Flammkuchen, wine tastings
* Boekenhoutskloof: Reuben’s BBQ, wine tasting, live band.
A ‘Franschhoek Uncorked‘ ‘buy six, pay for five’ special will be offered by each wine estate. Tickets can be bought via webtickets, and collected at the following entry points to Franschhoek: Allèe Bleue, Anthonij Rupert, Babylontoren, Haute Cabriere, Lynx Wines, Noble Hill, and Vrede en Lust, as well as the Franschhoek Wine Valley Tourism Bureau.
Uber has come to the party, and is offering its services for the weekend fun, with a R200 free first ride.