On Tuesday I heard about Chef Matt Schreuder opening his second restaurant, at the luxury The Andros Boutique Hotel. When I ate at Homespun by Matt in Blouberg one and a half years ago, I predicted that this restaurant was destined for great things, it being one of my best fine-dining eating experiences in our country.
It was so exciting to hear him speak and enthuse about his newest restaurant project. This is what I know already about the new Homespun at The Andros:
The space at the hotel was originally intended to become yet another Chef’s Warehouse, but Chef Liam Tomlin was busy setting up a restaurant elsewhere, and hence The Andros Hotel owner Adrian chose to go with Homespun and Chef Matt instead.
- The restaurant will open in a month, on 18 June
- Chef Matt’s mom is the interior designer of the new restaurant, its interior to have an Art Deco feel
- Chef Matt and his right hand Head Chef Chris De Jongh will move from Homespun by Matt in Blouberg to Homespun at The Andros. Joining them as Pastry Chef will be Chris Morrison, formerly at The Fat Duck. Both Chefs Chris worked at the SŸN and Exhihibit A restaurants of Chef Rikku O’Donnchü, now living in the USA. Head Chef Roché Rossouw of Life and Brand will head up the kitchen at Homespun by Matt Blouberg.
- Michelle Michaels of The Greenhouse has been appointed as Sommelier at the new Homespun at The Andros
- Both Homespun restaurants will serve the 6-course Tasting Menu. A 3-course Menu is also offered from the À la Carte menu, offering a choice of a number of dishes per course. The Monday Secret Supper Club, the ultimate Homespun fining dining experience, will be offered at both restaurants as soon as the new Homespun at The Andros has settled in.
Homespun at The Andros, The Andros Hotel, 16 Phyllis Road, Claremont, Cape Town. Tel 021 797-9777 Instagram: @homespunbymatt @cheffmatt_homespun. Opening 18 June.
Chris von Ulmenstein, WhaleTales Blog: www.whaletalesblog.com www.chrisvonulmenstein.com/blog Tel +27 082 55 11 323 Twitter:@Ulmenstein Facebook: Chris von Ulmenstein, My Cape Town Guide/Mein Kapstadt Guide Instagram: @Chrissy_Ulmenstein @MyCapeTownGuide