* Pop-up restaurants are here to stay, and are increasingly supported by food lovers who are prepared to pay a premium to attend such a restaurant. They give young chefs an opportunity to try their hand in running their own mini-restaurant.
* Cape Town’s Tourism Big Six has grown to the Big Seven, with the addition of the Cape Town City Walk, a new service which is to be launched on Saturday 18 April, a walk covering the Company’s Garden, the Fan Walk, St George’s Mall, Waterkant Street, and St Andrew’s Square (where Truth on Buitengracht Street is located). The other big six members are the Table Mountain Cableway, Cape Point, Robben Island, Kirstenbosch, the V&A Waterfront, and Groot Constantia.
* Airport restaurants of Michelin star Chefs Gordon Ramsay and Heston Blumenthal are listed on the Top 7 best airport restaurants and bars by The Drinks Business The list includes Gordon Ramsay’s Plane Food at Terminal 5 at Heathrow, Perfectionists’ Café by Heston Blumenthal at Terminal 2 at Heathrow, Runway 34 at Zurich Airport, and Beer Garden at Munich.
* Actress Diane Kruger has been appointed as Brand Ambassador for Martell, in its 300th anniversary year. A number of Martell France 300 activities are planned for the year, including a gathering of the top 300 clients of the brand at the Palace of Versailles next month, as well as in 30 other cities around the world. A 300 ‘Ones to Watch‘ in the fields of gastronomy, art, entertainment, and mixology will also be identified, with the focus on emerging and top French design talent.
* Many South Africans will be delighted if the planned restrictions on trucks over 9000 kg on highways at certain times of the day became law by the end of this year. Trucks are to be banned from highways between 6h00 – 9h00 and 17h00 – 20h00 on weekdays, due to the vast number of accidents in which they are involved.