For the first time in six years Franschhoek Uncorked is blessed with excellent weather, having had the most unfortunate bad weather luck in the first five years of the event, which sees wine lovers drive from wine estate to wine estate in Franschhoek today and tomorrow.
Each wine estate offers a unique mix of entertainment and food to serve with its wines, many launching its latest vintages. Highlights include:
* Antonij Rupert: ‘La Dolce Vita’ at the Terra del Capo tasting room and Antipasto Bar, with free tastings of latest releases, and antipasto platters (R120). Private Italian food and wine pairing lunch at R280 per person for 3 courses including wine. Newton& Co live music. At the Anthonij Rupert tasting room exclusive tasting of top wines, with a sneak peak of new vintage releases.
* Boekenhoutskloof: Celebration of 10th vintage of The Chocolate Block, The Kitchen Jamming Blues Band, and Reuben’s BBQ Extravaganza.
* Grande Provence: A la Carte menu and tapas, picnic basket to enjoy on the lawns, and free glass of Grande Provence wine at dinner when presenting Uncorked Pass. ‘Taste of Grande Provence’ at R100 per person, being 3 wines paired with canapés, Treasure Hunt at R30 in the ‘Search for Wine‘.
* Haute Cabriere: ‘Pierre Jourdan Oyster Bar’ with live music, ‘Ratafia Ball-Throwing Competition‘, complimentary tasting of selected Haute Cabriere wines and Pierre Jourdan Cape Classiques.
* La Bri: Live music, children entertainment, vertical tasting of award winning Syrah, pairing of handcrafted chocolates with boutique wines, competition for the label design for the Cellar Blend, Boerie rolls, burgers and Auntie Mary’s vetkoek.
* Leopard’s Leap: Free tasting of 2013 Sauvignon Blanc, 2013 Lookout Rosé, and 2011 Merlot, Wine Cocktails, and Rotisserie style lunch.
* Maison: Wine tasting, relax on the lawn, eat at the restaurant, and live music by Guy Collins
* Plaisir de Merle: Sweet and savoury crêpes, wine tasting, and live music
* Rickety Bridge: Tasting of The Foundation Stone and other wines, mushroom gnocchi and burgers, and live music by Gerald Clark.
* Solms-Delta: Cape cuisine at Fyndraai, live music by local farm bands, and wine tasting.
* Vrede en Lust: Lindt chocolates, strawberries, competitions, artisan white wine tasting, and cellar tour by winemaker Susan Erasmus.
To tie in with Franschhoek Uncorked, most of the Franschhoek wine estates are offering Franschhoek Uncorked wine specials:
* Allée Bleue Chenin Blanc 2012 @ R 45 per bottle & Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2012 @ R 70 per bottle
* Anthonij Rupert Wines Terra del Capo Pinot Grigio 2012 @ R 35 per bottle (normally R 59 per bottle), Terra del Capo Arne 2008 @ R 70 per bottle (normally R 115 per bottle), Protea Chenin Blanc 2012 @ R 35 per bottle (normally R 40 per bottle), Protea Reserve Magnum 2009 @ R 110 per bottle (normally R 165 per bottle)
* Boekenhoutskloof Chocolate Block 2012 @ R 175 per bottle
* Dieu Donné Rosé 2013 @ R 35 per bottle
* Four Paws Wines Calico, Chenin Blanc, Semillon and Viognier 2011 – Buy a case of 6 @ R 240 and get 2 (TWO full bottles) extra.
* Franschhoek Cellar Rosé 2012 + platter @ R 135 per couple
* Grande Provence Heritage Wine Estate Pinot Noir 2012 @ R 180 per bottle
* Holden Manz Merlot 2010 & Shiraz 2010 if you buy 10 bottles at the price of R 95 per bottle, you get an extra 2 bottles for free
* La Bri Winemakers Red & White 2 pack @ R 110 per 2 pack
* La Chataigne Sauvignon Blanc 2013 @ R 50 per bottle, Kastanje 2013 @ R 50 per bottle, Rose 2013 @ R 50 per bottle,
* Lynx Viognier 2013 @ R 100 per bottle, Blanc de Noir 2013: Buy 12 and get 6 free! Applies to the first 40 cases sold only!
* Maison Shiraz 2011@ R 600 per case, Chenin Blanc 2011 @ R 300 per case
* Noble Hill Syrah 2009 @ R 60 per bottle, Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 @ R 80 per bottle
* Plaisir de Merle Chardonnay 2011 @ R 80 per bottle, Merlot 2011 @ R 130 per bottle
Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 @ R 130 per bottle
* Rickety Bridge The Foundation Stone 2011 @ R 72 per bottle
* Solms-Delta Buy 6 bottles Vastrap NV (white cape style blend) and pay for only 4 bottles @ R 212, Buy 6 bottles Cape Jazz Shiraz 2012 and pay for only 4 bottles @ R 232
* Vrede en Lust Casey’s Ridge Sauvignon Blanc 2011 @ R 235 per case (6 bottles), White Mischief 2011 @ R 245 per case (6 bottles), Artisan Range CCV @ R 75 per bottle.
Franschhoek Uncorked, 7 and 8 September. R120 for Franschhoek Uncorked Weekend Pass. Tel (021) 876 2861. www.franschhoekuncorked.co.za. Twitter: @fhkuncorked
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage