An unusually high number of new restaurants has opened or will do so in the next month or two. There have never been so many chefs leaving their employers to start their own restaurants, or to join other employers! This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Kokkedoor judge and Chef Nic van Wyk and Roxy Laker have opened bistro 13 at Stellenbosch Vineyards (Welmoed) (photograph)
* Idiom Wines is said to be opening a restaurant.
* The Butcher Shop & Grill has opened next to Sotano in Mouille Point.
* Michael Townsend (who own the La Parada, Lucky Fish, Harbour House emporium) has opened Tiger’s Milk in Muizenberg, the venue having previously been earmarked for a steakhouse.
* Neil Grant and his business partner Barry Engelbrecht (of Burrata) have opened new restaurant Bocca on the corner of Breeand Wale Streets, ‘more low key, more Bree Street, more user-friendly‘, with an Italian pizza oven too. They are also taking over the River Café (renaming it) at Constantia Uitsig.
* Hard Rock Café has returned to South Africa, and has opened the first of four branches on Mandela Square in Johannesburg. Branches in Cape Town, Pretoria, and Durban are planned.
* NV-80 has opened in the Checkers building in Sea Point.
* Baked in the Wood is to open in Woodstock in 2015, offering craft beer and tapas, and is owned by Zahir Mohamed of Baked Bistro.
* The Lunch Depot has opened on Christiaan Barnard Street.
* Hard Pressed Café has opened at the bottom of Bree Street.
* Charcoal Dining has opened where Chef’s Warehouse was previously.
* Isola has opened on Wale Street (but seems closed most days).
* Thornton Whites Gastro Bar has opened
* DeKapo has opened as a Halaal restaurant in Mouille Point
* Plan B Bar and Café has opened
* Flames and View have opened in the Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff in Johannesburg, with Chef Dirk Gieselmann, previously of 3 Michelin star Auberge de I’ll in France.
* Yo Meatball has opened on Roeland Street
* Lucky Fish has opened in Wynberg.
* Chef Craig Cormack has opened a Pop-Up Pizza & Pasta Restaurant next to the Allée Bleue’s winetasting centre, open until end September.
* CreATE Inspirational Café has opened in Stellenbosch.
* Honest Chocolate Café has opened next door to its original shop on Wale Street.
* Brandon of the Caveau Crew is opening The Lady Ava in Mouille Point!
* Izakaya Matsuri has opened in The Rockwell in Green Point, belonging to the same owner as Genki in Stellenbosch
* Tasha’s is opening in Canal Walk
* Localé Cocktail & Pincho Bar has opened in Mowbray, as a joint venture between Baked Bistro and Starlings Café
* Lime Tree Café has opened in Bergvliet
* Olio Pizza has opened in Bergvliet
* The Whale Garden has opened as an outdoor coffee bar in Hermanus.
* Italian restaurant Palma has opened on Bree Street
* Crisp in Franschhoek is adding a kitchen, to serve light meals and coffee.
* Molten Toffee Juice Bar & Coffee Shop has opened on Kloof Street.
* Chef Thomas Sinn has opened Rivendell Restaurant on Rivendell wine estate, on the road between Bot River and Hermanus. He has been a past Eat Out Top 10 Restaurant owner (The Blue Danube), opened Buitenverwachting restaurant, and owned Sinn’s, now having closed all his Cape Town restaurants.
* popupitalian has opened in Sea Point by Chef Giancarlo Peroni
* Palma has opened on Bree Street.
* Mother’s Ruin Gin Bar has opened on Bree Street.
* Snob Food is to open on Bree Street in March
* Kleinsky’s Delicatessen has opened on Regent Road in Sea Point.
* Blacksmith’s Kitchen has opened in Paarl.
* Jewel of India on Rose Street has closed down.
* Casparaus has closed down in Stellenbosch
* Lanique Bistro & Bar in De Waterkant has closed down.
* Sadly Chef Bruce Robertson, who owned the Flagship in Simonstown, a Guest House and Restaurant, passed away on 3 November.
* Polana in Kalk Bay has closed down, and now is the smoking section of Harbour House Kalk Bay.
* Addictions in Sea Point looks very closed, with a chain at the front door, and a notice inside stating that it is under construction, but there is no construction work visible in the tiny space.
* Giancarlo’s Italian Deli has closed down on Bree Street.
Restaurant chef/staff/venue changes
* Morgenster is planning a new restaurant, a Café, a Deli, and accommodation, a project which is still in development phase, but is planned to roll out next year.
* Fyndraai has moved into a new restaurant building on Solms-Delta, making space for the current restaurant venue to become the tasting room. The restaurant building was previously a stable, and is next to the new Music van de Caab building.
* Fisherman’s Catch in Franschhoek has closed, after re-opening twice this year. It had a new sign West Coast Farm Stall and Coffee Shoppe, but that has also been taken down. Its new signage is The White House, and a coffee shop/restaurant inside, called Aptyt! It also sells Addictions (ice cream shop brand in Cape Town)!
* Chef Andres Condé, formerly from elBulli and Tickets Michelin-star restaurants, has joined the Harbour House Group. He will eventually open a fine dining restaurant in the Constantia Nek restaurant building
* The Company’s Garden Restaurant will be taken over by the Zingara Group, and renamed Haarlem & Hope.
* Chef Carl Penn of Pedlars on the Bend has opened Alcantra in the former Don Pedro in Woodstock.
* Carne Bistro has opened on Kloof Street, where Caffe Milano was, and another Carne has opened in Wynberg.
* Mange Tout at Mont Rochelle in Franschhoek has re-opened and has been renamed Miko.
* Chef Jackie Cameron has left Hartford House, and opens the Jackie Cameron School of Food and Wine in Hilton in January.
* La Colombe has moved out of Constantia Uitsig, and has re-opened at Silvermist in Hout Bay.
* Chef PJ Vadas has left Camphors at Vergelegen, to open his own restaurant and brewery The Hog House in Cape Town. The brewery will operate from Ndabeni, near Merrypak.
* Rocca in the Cape Quarter has been sold, and has changed its name to Celtic Cove.
* La Parada is opening in part of the former Constantia Nek restaurant building
* Umi restaurant in Camps Bay has been halved in size, and La Belle Café has opened in the other half. It is a sister restaurant to the one based in The Alphen, also being part of the Kovensky Group.
* &Union has changed ownership, having been bought by Jason Lilley of Jason’s, and its name to WeinHaus & Biergarten.
* Jamie’s Italian is opening in the V&A Waterfront, when the Sevruga lease expires, Chef Jamie Oliver already having restaurants in Canada, Australia, Dubai, Ireland, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, and Turkey.
* The Daily Deli in Tamboerskloof has changed owners, and changed its name to The Blue Café.
* Burgundy in Hermanus has been sold to Willem and Estie Steyn, who in turn have sold Savannah. They also own @Food and Wine in Hermanus.
* Ryan’s Kitchen has re-opened at the former Pistachio Bistro (now closed down) in Place Vendome in Franschhoek.
* Khuselo Mputa has left Aubergine, and now is at Grande Provence as Sommelier and Restaurant Manager.
* Xolani Mancotywa joined La Residence as Sommelier and Beverage Manager, but has already left again, heading for the Maldives.
* Chef Michael Cooke from La Colombe has joined Camphors at Vergelegen as Executive Chef, taking over from PJ Vadas.
* Chef Gary Richardson has left Stables at Vergelegen, opening his own restaurant in Harfield Village in November.
* Restaurant Manager Jason van Heerden has left Stables at Vergelegen, returning to Brisbane. Marvin Seekoei is the new Manager.
* Chef Stefan Danz of Babylonstoren has joined Stables at Vergelegen as Executive Chef
* The management of Tokara has taken over Tokara DeliCATessen, renamed TOKARA Deli. Open from Tuesday – Sunday for breakfast and lunch, it will open on Friday and Saturday evening for pizzas,burgers, and craft beer from 16 January.
* Aroma Café has opened on Loop Street.
* Maison has opened a Deli offering Tapas dishes to pair with its winetasting in October.
* Ashley Moss is the new Head Chef at The Greenhouse.
* The Salmon Bar in Franschhoek has been sold again, to a very friendly David MacGinty.
* Chef Christiaan Campbell of Delaire Graff has moved to Boschendal. His replacement is Michael Dig, a chef who worked with Chef Christiaan.
* Chef Brad Ball of Bistro Sixteen82 has left, moving to Pedlars on the Bend. Kelly Kilpin is the new chef.
* Belsol Portuguese restaurant has opened in Camps Bay, where Luigi’s used to be (but still has all the Luigi branding outside the restaurant)
* Truffle has opened where Leaf, Portofino, and The Showroom used to be, and changed chefs within 10 days of opening, Chef Nick Blazic having left, and Chef Ryan Brown has taken over!
* The Executive Club at the Westin Cape Town has changed its name to On 19. Chris Maree is the new chef, previously at the Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa.
* Chef Oliver Cattermole has left Mondiall and joined the Leeu Collection. Chef Lauren Case is now running the Mondiall kitchen. Mondiall Sous Chef Jodey Carlous has also left, joining the Zingara Group.
* Chef Marile van Niekerk has left Craft Wheat & Hops to join LUST Bakery & Bistro at Vrede en Lust as Head Chef.
* Amy and Marc Botes have taken over Mozzarella Bar from Giorgio Nava on Kloof Street, and renamed it Chalk & Cork (aka as Chalk & Cheek!)
* Chef Kerry Kilpin has been appointed as Head Chef and Restaurant Manager of Bistro Sixteen82, from 3 November onward. She was previously at La Colombe and The Food Barn.
* Chris Papayannes, previous Restaurant Manager and Sommelier at The Restaurant at Newton Johnson, has been appointed as Executive Sous Chef at Zevenwacht.
* Chef Charl Coetzee has joined Eight at Spier.
* Taste restaurant has moved to Bright Street in Somerset West.
* Chef Germaine Esau has moved from Delaire Graff to Makaron at Majeka House.
* Charcutier Steve Jeffery is running the Blaauwklippen Bistro.
* Notorious Chef Conrad Gallagher, who left a trail of debt when he last operated in Cape Town, is re-opening Café Chic in Breda Street in December!
* Allée Bleue Bistro has appointed Beau du Toit as new chef.
* Bertus Basson at Spice Route will open as a family restaurant on the wine estate in January, taking over the Spice Route restaurant.
* Overture is now run by Allistaire Lawrence, previously from Roots. That should cost the restaurants its Top 10 status next year. Eat Out says that Chef Bertus Basson will ‘continue to be there as often as possible’.
* Chef Ryan Brand has left The Banting Kitchen, and now is Executive Chef for the Kauai Group.
* The Peregrine Farmstall restaurant has re-opened after an extensive rebuild after a fire earlier this year.
* Kauai has opened its 150th outlet, in the V&A Waterfront. Its current outlet in the V&A will close in February.
* The Bedouin Deli has moved from Woodstock to the Cape Quarter.
* Co-shareholders and founders Patrick and Andrea Moreau leave Cassis on 20 December.
* Bootlegger Coffee Company has taken over the space of Voila, ex Salt, opposite the Ambassador Hotel in Bantry Bay.
* Haarlem & Hope has changed its name to The Company’s Garden Restaurant.
* McDonald’s has opened on Main Road in Sea Point.
* Chef Ryan Cole from Pierneef à La Motte is moving to The Test Kitchen at the end of January.
* Plant Café has moved from Bo-Kaap to Loop Street.
* Tribakery on Bree Street has changed its name to B @ 1
* Johann’s Dining Room has opened at Orphanage Cocktail Emporium, with Chef Johann Breedt, formerly from The Taj, Shimmy Beach Club, and The Westin.
* Brent Kuttschreuter’s ‘GM Consultant Contract‘ at Mondiall has ended.
* Le Quartier Français’ association with Relais & Chateaux has ended.
* The Ultimate Braai Master Champions for 2014, Yusuf Sujee and Stephen Mandos, have taken over as chefs at La Vierge in Hermanus.
Temporary restaurant closures
* Boschendal Farm Werf Restaurant will open at the end of February. The new Farm Shop & Deli is open, and serving meals seven days a week. The Buffet has been moved to the building next to the Tasting Room, on the opposite side of the estate.
* La Colombe: has re-opened.
We welcome all restaurant news – please e-mail us at email@example.com
POSTSCRIPT 12/11: La Colombe re-opens at its new home at Silver Mist tomorrow 13 November.